Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day Ten: Super Salads and Chicken Fingers

Hello all!
So after my boring leftovers day yesterday, I resolved to try and spice things up again! When I was back in Ottawa, I made it a priority to pick up some almond meal as I have seen this all over the internet with regards to Paleo recipes, and was anxious to use it in my cooking.

Lunch however was an entirely different animal, even though it didn't contain any (haha, I know, terrible pun...)! At a local vegan and organic restaurant I ordered the most paleo-friendly thing on the menu: the Three-Salad Plate. It consisted of carrot and raisin salad, house salad and quinoa tabouleh. Although quinoa is actually not a grain, but more of a seed, it still sort of falls into that non-paleo grouping that needs to be consumed only in moderation (or not at all according to some camps), it is an excellent replacement for couscous, which contains gluten, making it the lesser of two evils. I was actually pretty full afterwards, even though I did not have any protein...
Carrot and Raisin Salad, Quinoa Tabouleh, and House Salad
For dinner I pulled out the almond meal and got my chef on: Almond Flour Chicken Fingers! First I sliced two chicken breasts into about half-inch thick strips and threw together a spice rub made of pepper, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder and chives. Taking my now zesty pieces, I whipped up two eggs and placed my almond flour on a plate.
Chicken and spices, beaten egg and almond flour.
Instead of the 1/2 cup of flour the recipe called for, I ended up using at least a whole additional cup, although this may have been my dredging technique more than anything else...

Crisping up!
First I took my spiced chicken and rolled it in the flour, then dipped it lightly in the egg and dredged it back through the almond meal before setting it aside. This is key to keeping everything sticking together, and the fingers need to sit for at least 5 minutes to gel. I heated about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and began frying up half the chicken. It took 3-4 minutes per side, and then I transfered it over to a paper towel-covered plate to drain.
The few crispy almond pieces that fell off were to die for, and though this took a lot of oil and the almonds themselves are pretty high in fat, its all "good" fats. I am planning on doing some research on alternative cooking oils that might be better for me, seeing as I now find myself using so much more than I'm used to what with the new diet!

I stacked the remaining fingers onto a plate as I searched for the best way to reheat them once I had my fill. These were SO delicious! Next time in order to cut down on the almond meal used and the fat component, I might just coat the entire fillet to add character to the dish rather than have it be such an integral part. But this is an excellent treat that I'll definately make again!

Ready for eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment