Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day Fifteen: Butter Chicken

So today I finally had the chance to cook again after doing a very large (and prettttty expensive) grocery run yesterday! The past two days have been really hectic with work and class and socializing with returned friends!

Yesterday was a little bit of a cheat day, as I went out for dinner and indulged in the chevre and beet salad (so amazing, if you're ever in Montreal you must go to Jane). Today however I invited my friend Priscilla for lunch and introduced her to my Paleo style cooking!

In the spirit of globalization, I decided to try an Indian dish that I have been craving: Butter Chicken. I was keen to use some of the tumeric I picked up in anticipation, as I can't remember ever cooking with the spice before! After picking out virtually every spice in my arsenal I started my cubed chicken breasts in a frying pan. Then when they were about done I transfered them to a plate and heat my spices up in some olive oil. I used ginger, tumeric, chili flakes, cinnamon, garlic powder, cumin, curry powder and paprika. Adding to this, I used (again for the first time in cooking!) a small tin of coconut milk and some garlic before letting it all simmer a tad. After a while I added some canned diced tomatoes (no salt added!), some lemon juice and a 1/4 cup of almond butter. Then I transfered my chicken back into the mixture and let it all reduce for about 15 minutes.
I know, it doesn't LOOK appetizing, but it really was great!

While this was going on, I cut some cauliflower up and added it to a pot for steaming. I thought this would be a great substitute for the rice that so often pops up in Indian cuisine, and I was right! Really great texture and the subtle flavour was a good addition to the dish.
"Butter" Chicken served with "rice"!

Then it was time to serve! And voila! at home, incredibly healthy, very paleo ethnic food! Now I don't have to feel like I'm missing out at all on Montreal's varied dining scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment