Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day Eleven: Stuffed Peppers

So day three of the beerfest, and I have indulged again in gluten-free beer, this time a raspberry pepper brew. It's ridiculously hard not to when you work in a microbrewery all the time and have still yet to try one of the homemade beers... this is making up for all of that (or at least, that's how I'm justifying it!) I got home and decided that I needed to remind myself how amazing no-starch food really can be, and therefore decided to make delicious Paleo Stuffed Peppers!

Now this was just a thrown together piece of work, without any real recipe, but as usual my spice cubby was instrumental in making this dish excellent! I combined my essentials: ground beef (President's Choice Free From variety), zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoe and onion. To this mixture I threw in garlic, steak spice and chili flakes for good measure just to get some heat in the dish. Hollowing out my peppers (I chose pretty yellow ones, but I imagine that all of the colours work just as well...), I left the lids intact as a pretty accent to the whole shebang. Preheating the oven to 350, I took an oven safe casserole dish and set my lidless peppers in the bottom, simply placing the lids in the spaces between them. These took a while, but not wanting to take any chances with having the meat come out uncooked, I let them go for a full hour.
Peppers roasting away!
I loved these! The sweetness of the pepper, the spice of the filling, and the general heartiness of the whole dinner was nicely offset by some avocado slices, giving the dish a TexMex type of feel.

Avocado and Stuffed Pepper!
With two peppers leftover, its all I can do to remind myself that I will want to have leftovers, rather than gobbling them up myself!
I need some sort of coping mechanism for those times when I'm not hungry, but eat because I am bored or because I know just how good things taste!

So far I've really found great, easy recipes that turn out beautifully, just like I wanted to; soon I think I'll reward myself at the halfway point with a crack at a real Paleo dessert, and see if my baking skills are up to snuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment