Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day Four: Bison Meatballs

Hey!
So this morning I woke up anticipating the BBQ later today (for which I prepared sweet potatoes and fall fruit crisp), but neede to get a good breakfast in me as I knew there would be some *ahem* libations around later...
I had recently defrosted a ton of things in my freezer, knowing that I would be needing lots of protein in the coming month. Along with some salmon and a package of chicken drumsticks, I had grabbed a hunk of bison meat that was sent to me a few months back from Brockville. This stuff has already been used to make burgers, and twice to make chilli, but I figured it needed a new form this time 'round. So, in the spirit of adventure, I decided to make... MEATBALLS!
Alright... so I know that's not entirely different from burgers, but as I said in an earlier post, smaller things = more fun! Plus, I basically just ended up eating them as mini sliders, as meatballs devoid of pasta really doesn't feel the same!

I actually didnt use a recipe here, but rather just took a look at my spice shelf and started grabbing things!
Right to Left: Cumin, Black Pepper, Fresh Basil, Steak Spice, Avocado, Paprika, Garlic Powder, Shallot, Egg and Brown Mustard.
The Avocado pictured didn't end up IN the actual meatballs, but was really good once they were done!

just frying away!
After chopping the shallot finely, and slicing up the basil, I combined all these ingredients, and began shaping up rounds with about a 3 cm diameter. Meanwhile on the stove in a skillet I heated some olive oil and some red pepper flakes so as to give just a little bit of kick to the dish. Then, I placed the meatballs into the pan, and covered them with a lid for about 2 minutes. Removing the lid, I flipped each portion and, still uncovered, I let them go for another 3-4 minutes.

Then I prepared the "buns". Using a little of yesterday's babaganouj, a halved cherry tomatoe and a slice of avocado, I built my foundation on a piece of lettuce. To this I added one meatball, and a few sliced of grilled mushroom, done in the now empty, but still unwashed, skillet. The final presentation looked quite colorful, and it came to me that this would be a good idea for a pub fare-inspired dinner party or the like!

I topped the lettuce with the meatball and mushrooms, and folded the top of the "bun" down to get the dip right on top. Messy, but oh-so-satisfying! I deemed three to be an acceptable portion for breakfast, and sealed the others in a glass container for future meals!

Hopefully today at the shindig I can keep my paleo ideals strong! I'll just remember I have great food waiting for me back home and that'll keep my hands off all the nono items! Plus, I have that great looking apple, nectarine, peach and strawberry cinnamon confection to look forward to!

Cheers all!

No comments:

Post a Comment